Occupational Therapy Services
Occupational therapy consists of rehabilitation services, emphasizing a holistic approach. Occupational therapy helps individuals maintain and develop skills that will lead to independence in personal, social, academic and vocational pursuits.
Occupational therapy is the art and science of directing a child's/adult's participation in selected tasks in order to restore, reinforce and/or enhance performance, facilitate learning of skills essential to adaptation and productivity. Occupational therapy values the promotion and maintenance of health as well as the quality of daily life.
The Centre's occupational therapy services offers the following:
- home rehabilitation programming
- environmental assessments
- equipment prescriptions
Occupational therapy provides services to developmentally challenged children or children at risk of a developmental delay aged 0 to 5.
Benefits to the Individual and Family
The family will benefit from "hands on" and/or consultation therapy services as appropriate in the child's home environment. Occupational therapy helps children develop and maintain skills that can lead to independence in personal, social and academic areas. These can include:
- more effective motor performance for tasks
- improved sensory perception
- better organizational abilities for successful completion of tasks
- mastering skills to perform self-care activities
- improve social skills required for interaction with others
- coping strategies to assist children in managing sensory environments
The Next Step
All referrals for occupational therapy services will be processed through the Centre's Intake Clerk.